For all foreign rights enquiries, please contact Nicolas Grivel via nicolas(dot)grivel(at)yahoo(dot)fr .
BLANK SLATE BOOKS is always interested in working with new authors. We are primarily interested in cartoonists who both write and draw – who, in fact, produce the whole comics work. We aren’t interested in art samples or scripts and outlines. We aren’t really in the habit of pairing writers with artists. Don’t expect a quick answer to whatever you send. We need time to read things and think about them. We are interested in both black & white and colour work. If you are a new cartoonist, making your work in black & white – thus cheaper to print – will improve your chances of getting a bite. If we accept your work for a book project we do pay an advance and royalties, and these will be negotiated on a case-by-case basis.
If you would like to submit work for consideration please read and follow these guidelines:
1. Submit no more than 12 pages if you are sending work as an attachment. We will pretty much know within that length if it’s for us or not.
2. Please don’t bombard us with multiple scenarios, just send us your best work. If we establish a relationship, we will want to look at your other ideas then.
3. Your work can have appeared before as small press, webcomic or self published, and we may be interested in collecting strip work into a single volume. Please make sure that it’s clear what you are submitting, and either point us to web addresses to view the work or send us samples.
4. We do try to answer every email. If somehow we fail to do so – we apologise in advance. It almost certainly means that we don’t think we’d be interested in your work, however feel free to follow up with us by email.
5. Please try not to send work to us to be critiqued rather than as a submission. We may from time to time do this where we see promise, but when we don’t respond don’t feel slighted – we are very very busy and we all have other jobs.
6. Look at the kind of books that we have published previously as a rough indicator of what we might publish in the future. We are open to most things but are VERY unlikely to publish either superheroes or out-and-out avant garde art comics.
7. You should be in a position to deliver your completed work within six months of signing a deal.
8. Email all submissions to Kenny Penman:
KENNY >at< BLANKSLATE.. dot CO.. dot UK.
ALWAYS include the word ‘Submission’ in your title header to diminish the chance of your email being bounced as spam.